Posted August 2017
Why am I being warned about potential exposure to nicotine?
What is nicotine?
- Nicotine is an addictive chemical compound that is formed naturally in tobacco and some other plants. It is used in a wide variety of tobacco products, and some pharmaceuticals.
- Nicotine can be found in:
- Cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, hand-rolled cigarettes (such as bidis) and clove cigarettes (kreteks).
- Tobacco smoke.
- Chewing tobacco, snuff, and tobacco products that are dissolved in the mouth (such as orbs, sticks, strips, and lozenges).
- Electronic or e-cigarettes, e-cigars, e-pipes, and other vaping devices, and refills for these devices (known as e-liquids, e-juice or vape juice).
- Vapor from vaping devices.
- Many nicotine-replacement products designed to help quit tobacco use (such as patches, gels, inhalers, gum, lozenges and sprays).
How does exposure to nicotine occur?
- During pregnancy, nicotine passes from mother to baby.
How can I reduce my exposure to nicotine?
- Do not use tobacco products.
- Avoid breathing air containing tobacco smoke or vapor that contains nicotine.
- Do not allow children to use tobacco products, or spend time in places where tobacco products are being used.
- If you use tobacco products, do your best to quit. In the meantime, do not use these products near other people. If you must smoke or vape, do so outdoors.
- Choose venues that are free of tobacco products. In California, the use of tobacco products in public places, restaurants, bars, state-regulated gambling venues and most workplaces is not allowed.
- Establish smoke-free and nicotine-free rules for your home and car.
- Ask others not to use tobacco products near you and your family.
- Avoid direct contact with the contents of vaping device refills that contain nicotine.
For more information:
General Nicotine Fact Sheets and Resources
- US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- National Institute on Health (NIH), National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Designated Smoking Areas